Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Welcome to Adulthood

One of the aspects of living in the South that I find most amusing is the reaction of the general population to adverse weather conditions. Of course, in the south, adverse weather is defined as anything short of 70 degrees and sunny. Throughout my years here I have marveled at the automotive carnage brought about by rainfall. Drop the temperature to below freezing and it gets really good. Snow is an anomaly here. A mere forecast of potential flurries will wipe out the grocery store shelves and close businesses for miles around. This week began not only with a forecast of frozen precipitation but also with the real deal. At least in Southern terms that is.

On my way to the gym yesterday morning I could not help but grin when I found myself to be one of the only drivers on the road. Granted, we had received over an inch of snow but where I come from we call that a dusting. Not so here in Charlotte. I was driving into the aftermath of what I'm sure will come to be known as the blizzard of 2011. Multiple accidents were reported throughout the city and newscasters urged their followers to avoid any unnecessary travel. As schools and businesses throughout the region announced that they would be closing for the safety of their staff and clientele, I found myself with an unexpected day off.

Given that I technically could perform most of my work duties from home it seemed that I might have a tremendously productive day. A full day with zero distractions and hour upon quiet hour to pound out phone calls and do whatever else it is that I do when I'm not banging my head against my desk. Yes, it could have have been the most productive day of my professional career. But then I remembered that 2011 is The Year of The Man. Would The Man work from home on a day off? Would The Man sacrifice a marvelous snow day only to labor from dawn to dusk? Would The Man place work ahead of pleasure? Hell no. The man would build a fort!

The fort began with a simple rearranging of furniture. The two couches in the living room provided an excellent structural framework upon which to build the ultimate blanket fortress. With The Little Italian at my side as construction superintendent, I could rest assured that the building process would go smoothly.

Project Manager Gus ensured that protocol was closely followed during the construction process.

Two layers of blankets were used to form the roof but something was definitely missing after this portion of the structure was erected. Bringing the pub chairs in from the dining room solved a major design issue and led to the creation of a grand entryway.

The initial framework for the entryway was carefully put in place.

Now that's exactly what I was looking for.

After completing the difficult and often times treacherous outer construction, the interior work was a breeze. The Little Italian and I took a minimalist approach to the interior design, much as we have done throughout our home. One double sleeping bag and a pair of flannel covered pillows were all it took to create an exotic hideaway in our living room. One final detail and the fun could begin. Every good fort needs a sign.

No explanation needed.


Yes indeed, my snow day was a great success. I went to sleep last night knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt that my day was far more awesome than that of the rest of the snow bound residents of Charlotte. I do so enjoy being a mature adult.

1 comment:

  1. the absurd way in which the choice "southerners" have reacted to the dusting reminded me of when Robin and I were in San Diego visiting her brother and his family. I was driving her brother's range rover- ooo!manly! to the outdoor mall. If you don't know what an outdoor mall is, i really don't feel the need to express that it is a mall with no ceilings. except for the stores themselves- they have ceilings. But I digress...
    Robin and I were in a store as it started to drizzle. just a misting of rain, really. As we were looking about for our booty, we half- noticed an affectation of the shoppers surrounding us. As it is the New Englander's rule to be a silent observer (i'm not really sure if it is, but now it's in print, so it must be true) we didn't take much notice until throngs, including the staff at the registers, started to move en masse towards the windows with a look of wild wonderment on their faces. oh yes... it was "raining" in San Diego.
    Robin and I stood, dumbfounded and angry, booty in hand, ready to pay at the register. No one was there. we had to call out a few times. It was then I realized we could have snuck out of the store without paying at all. we didn't, i just realized we could.

    and if that was silly enough, you should have seen the drive home. the freeway was stopped up with traffic, the electronic billboards reading delays due to the hazardous weather.

    the only thing hazardous on that freeway was my temper. The rain was nothing more than a regular "dusting" if you will.

    thank you, and good night!

    ReplyDelete